Last Updated on October 2, 2023
Have you ever wanted your home to smell like a luxurious spa? Or like a freshly baked pie? With potpourri, the possibilities are endless!
Potpourri can also be used with water to create a unique and long-lasting decoration.
Water helps to keep the potpourri fresh and fragrant for longer, and it also allows you to experiment with different colors.
For example, you could use clear glass vases to showcase colorful potpourri or try adding a few drops of food coloring to the water for a more dramatic effect.
Water also makes it possible to create unique color combinations by layering different shades of potpourri. And, to be visually appealing, water-based potpourri is also more resistant to mold and mildew than its dry counterpart.
As a result, it can often last for months without needing to be replaced. Whether you’re using it to brighten up your home or as a thoughtful gift for a loved one, water-based potpourri is a versatile and easy-to-care-for option.
Here in this blog post, we’ll show you how to use potpourri with water, including tips on keeping it looking and smelling its best.
Read on to learn more!
How to Use Potpourri with Water?
Can water really be that boring? With potpourri, it certainly doesn’t have to be! Adding potpourri to water can give it a whole new lease on life, infusing the plain old H2O with color, fragrance, and even flavor. Plus, it’s super easy to do.
Water and essential oils are all you need to make your own potpourri. It’s very important to select high-quality potpourri for this project in order to get the best results.
Look for potpourri that is colorful and fragrant. Make sure to choose potpourri that is labeled “dry” or “for use with water.”
- Combine 1 cup of water with 30-40 drops of your favorite essential oil in a small bowl.
- Pour the mixture into a glass jar or vase, add 1-2 handfuls of dried flowers, and stir well.
- Place the potpourri in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight, and allow it to steep for at least 24 hours. The longer it steeps, the more potent the scent will be.
- To refresh the scent, add more water and essential oil as needed.
Enjoy your beautiful, homemade potpourri!
If you want to make a bigger batch, try this recipe. Just remember to add more water as needed.
- 1 cup of dried lavender
- 1/2 cup of dried rose petals
- 1/4 cup of dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon of whole cloves
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of rose essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of vodka (optional)
- Combine the dried lavender, rose petals, thyme, and cloves in a large bowl.
- Add the lavender and rose essential oils, and stir well.
- Add the vodka (if using), and stir again.
- Transfer the mixture to a glass jar or vase, and add 1-2 cups of water.
- Allow the potpourri to steep for at least 24 hours before enjoying. Refresh the scent as needed by adding more water and essential oil.
This recipe makes enough potpourri for a large jar or vase. Feel free to halve the recipe if you don’t need that much.
The Best Ways to Use Potpourri with Water
As a Decoration
Did you know that you could use potpourri with water to make an attractive and fragrant display? All you need is a glass jar or vase, some potpourri, and a few drops of essential oil. Decorating with potpourri is easy and leaves a lovely scent in any area.
For a touch of color, you can also add a few drops of food coloring. Simply fill the jar or vase with potpourri, add the essential oil and food coloring (if desired), and then top off with water.
The potpourri will absorb the water and release its fragrance, filling your home with a wonderful scent.
You can experiment with different essential oils and potpourirs to create your own unique fragrance. So why not give it a try?
As a Gift
Who doesn’t love the smell of potpourri? Whether it’s made from fresh flowers, spices, or herbs, potpourri can infuse any room with a pleasant aroma. And, it can be made for a beautiful and fragrant gift.
- Simply mix together dried flowers, leaves, and spices in a bowl, then transfer to a lidded jar or container.
- Put it in a pretty jar or vase and add a ribbon or tag.
- For an extra personal touch, add a handwritten note with the recipient’s favorite scent.
- When they’re ready to enjoy the potpourri, they can place it in a small dish and add water to release the fragrance.
Your loved one will enjoy the fresh fragrance for months to come.
In a Diffuser
You can enjoy the fragrance of potpourri throughout your home by adding it to an essential oil diffuser. This is a great way to use potpourri if you have allergies or sensitivities to fragrances.
The diffuser will disperse the fragrance of the potpourri into the air, making it enjoyable for everyone in the room. You can also add a few drops of essential oil to the potpourri to enhance the fragrance.
This is a great way to enjoy the benefits of both potpourri and essential oils at the same time.
In a Car
Potpourri can also be used in your car! Place a small amount in a diffuser or hang it from the rearview mirror.
Enjoy the fresh scent on your next road trip. This is a great way to make your car smell nice without using any harsh chemicals.
You can also add a few drops of essential oil to the potpourri for an even more, relaxing scent.
In a Closet
Hang water-based potpourri in your closet to keep your clothes smelling great. This is especially helpful if you have a small space and can’t use a traditional air freshener.
The potpourri will release a pleasant fragrance that will make your clothes smell great. You can also add a few drops of essential oil to the potpourri to increase the fragrance.
On a Nightstand
Place water-based potpourri on your nightstand to enjoy the fragrance as you sleep. This way, you can take advantage of essential oils’ natural aromatherapy benefits to relax and unwind after a long day.
In a Bathroom
Hang water-based potpourri in your bathroom to keep it smelling fresh and clean. This is a great alternative to traditional air fresheners, which can often be overpowering. You can make a spray with water and essential oils to make your own bathroom air freshener.
In a Shoe
Potpourri can also be used to freshen up your shoes! Place a small amount in each shoe and let it sit overnight. Your shoes will smell great the next day.
In a Potpourri Sachet
Fill a small sachet with potpourri, then add a few drops of water. Tie the sachet closed and enjoy the great smell!
DIY Potpourri Air Freshener
Fill a small spray bottle with water, then add a layer of potpourri and your favorite smell of essence. Shake the bottle well and spritz the potpourri spray around your home for a fresh, fragrant smell.
In a Humidiﬁer
One popular way to enjoy potpourri is in a humidifier. This delivers a steady stream of fragrance while also providing much-needed moisture to dry winter air.
To use potpourri in a humidifier, simply add water and essential oils to the reservoir as directed by your manufacturer’s instructions. Then mix in 1/2 cup of dried lavender flowers (or other fragrant botanicals) and let it steep for 1-2 hours before enjoying the lovely fragrance in your home!
Simmering/ stovetop potpourri is another great way to make your house smell amazing!
You can customize your own scent by mixing different essential oils, and it’s a natural way to freshen up your home. Plus, it’s easy to do and requires no special equipment.
If you want to enjoy your potpourri for an extended period of time, try simmering it on the stove. This will help release the fragrance into the air and fill your home with a pleasant scent.
To do this, simply add water and potpourri to a pot on the stove, and let it simmer for a few hours. Be sure to keep an eye on the pot and add more water as needed.
When you’re done, let the pot cool before storing it in a cool, dry place.
Different stovetop potpourri recipes:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dried lavender
- 1/4 cup dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup dried thyme
- Ten drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dried orange peel
- 1/4 cup cloves
- One cinnamon stick
- Ten drops of orange essential oil
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup dried lavender
- 1/4 cup dried rosemary
- 1/4 cup dried thyme
- Ten drops of lavender essential oil
Add all ingredients to a pot on the stove, and let it simmer for a few hours. Be sure to keep an eye on the pot and add more water as needed. When you’re done, let the pot cool before storing it in a cool, dry place. Enjoy your fragrant home!
How to Create a Water-based Potpourri Arrangement?
Water-based potpourri is more visually appealing than its dry counterpart, making it a great way to brighten up your home.
Here we’ve outlined a few of our favorite ways to layer the potpourri.
- One way to use water-based potpourri is to layer different colors of potpourri in a clear glass vase. This creates a beautiful, multi-dimensional effect that is sure to impress.
- Another way to use water-based potpourri is to add a few drops of food coloring to the water. This will create a more dramatic effect and allow you to experiment with different colors.
- If you want your water-based potpourri to last for an extended period of time, consider adding a few drops of essential oil to the water. This will help to keep the potpourri fresh and fragrant for longer.
- Once you have your desired arrangement, simply let it sit for 24 hours so that the potpourri can absorb the water and expand. After 24 hours,
- You can also use water-based potpourri to create a unique gift for a loved one. Simply choose a favorite color or scent of potpourri, add it to a clear jar, and attach a decorative lid. This makes for a thoughtful and long-lasting gift that is sure to be appreciated.
Benefits of Using Water with Potpourri
Potpourri is a fantastic way to enjoy the benefits of essential oils and create a wonderful-smelling environment in your home. However, potpourri can be quite potent and overwhelming if you don’t use it correctly.
One way to help tone down the potency of your potpourri is to add water to it. This will help release the essential oils into the air more slowly and evenly, creating a much more pleasant scent in your home.
There are many benefits to using water with your potpourri. Water can help:
- Tame Strong Smells: If your potpourri is too strong, add a bit of water to help tone it down.
- Make potpourri last longer: Adding water to your potpourri will help it hold onto the essential oils for a longer period of time, allowing you to enjoy the scent for days or even weeks.
- Create a more pleasant environment: Not only will adding water to your potpourri help tone down strong smells, but it will also help create a more pleasant and relaxing atmosphere in your home.
- Help essential oils diffuse better: Water helps to carry the essential oils into the air, resulting in a more even and pleasant scent in your home.
- Make potpourri easier to clean: When you add water to your potpourri, it will be much easier to clean up when it’s time to change it out. Simply empty the water and toss the potpourri in the compost or trash.
- Prevent mold and mildew: Water can help prevent mold and mildew from growing on your potpourri.
How to Create Different Color Combinations by Layering Different Shades of Potpourri
If you want to layer different colors of potpourri, start by putting the lightest color on the bottom. Then, add progressively darker colors until you reach the desired effect.
For example, if you layer red and yellow potpourri, you’ll get an orange shade. If you layer blue and green potpourri, you’ll get a teal shade.
You can also create shades of purple by mixing blue and red potpourri or shades of brown by mixing red and green potpourri. Experiment with different combinations to see what colors you can create!
By layering different shades of potpourri, make sure the colors don’t bleed together, and use a piece of tissue paper or wax paper between each layer. When you’re finished, spritz the potpourri with water to help release the fragrance.
To use potpourri with water, simply add a layer of potpourri to the bottom of a jar or vase. Then, add water until the potpourri is covered.
You can add more or less water depending on how strong you want the scent to be. Let the potpourri soak for a few hours, or overnight, before enjoying.
To get the most out of your potpourri, be sure to store it in a cool, dry place. If the potpourri starts to lose its scent, you can refresh it by adding more water.
Tips for Keeping Your Potpourri Fresh and Fragrant
- Add water: Be sure to add water to your potpourri to help it last longer and smell its best.
- Store in a cool, dry place: Potpourri will last the longest when stored in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.
- Refresh with essential oils: If your potpourri starts to lose its scent, you can refresh it by adding a few drops of essential oil.
- Change it out: Potpourri will eventually lose its smell. When this happens, simply empty it out and start fresh with a new potpourri.
Don’t throw it away when it’s time to change your potpourri! You can compost it or use it in other ways around the house. Use in other ways around the house: put in drawers, sprinkle on the carpet before vacuuming, or use as a potpourri sachet.
How Does Adding Water Help Potpourri?
Adding water to your potpourri will help it hold onto the essential oils for a longer period of time, allowing you to enjoy the scent for days or even weeks. Water also helps to carry the essential oils into the air, resulting in a more even and pleasant scent in your home.
How Can I Layer Different Colors of Potpourri?
To layer different colors of potpourri, start by putting the lightest color on the bottom. Then, add progressively darker colors until you reach the desired effect. You can also create shades of purple by mixing blue and red potpourri or shades of brown by mixing red and green potpourri. Experiment with different combinations to see what colors you can create!
What Are Some Tips for Keeping My Potpourri Fresh and Fragrant?
To keep your potpourri fresh and fragrant, be sure to add water and store it in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight. You can also refresh the potpourri with essential oils if it starts to lose its scent.
What Should I Do With My Potpourri When it’s Time to Change it Out?
When it’s time to change your potpourri, you can compost it or use it in other ways around the house. Try putting it in drawers, sprinkling it on the carpet before vacuuming, or using it as a potpourri sachet.
If you’re looking for a more natural way to fragrance your home, look no further than potpourri! Potpourri is a wonderfully easy way to enjoy pleasing aromas throughout your living space, and it can be made with things you likely already have on hand.
Best of all, there’s no need for expensive store-bought options – DIY potpourri is easy, thrifty, and allows you to customize the scent to your preferences.
Thanks for reading! We hope you found these tips helpful and that you’ll give potpourri with water a try.